Setting Up Utilities

First determine which part of Niseko you are located in. This will affect what utility providers you will connect to.

Map of Kutchan & Niseko towns & areas.

LP Gas Companies

Normally the gas is not connected when you move in. Look at the tank outside the building to find the contact number and set up an account. We reccommend setting this up before you move in. See photo below showing what the gas tanks look like. Here are some local examples:

– Kutchan Propane
Address: 1 Chome Minami 4 Jonishi, Kutchan, Abuta District, Hokkaido 044-0034
Phone: 0136-22-0761

– Kubota Propane
Address: 2 Chome-5 Kita 1 Johigashi, Kutchan, Abuta District, Hokkaido 044-0001
Phone: 0136-22-1377

– North Japan Fuel Co., Ltd.Iwanai Sales Office
Address: 102 Chuodori, Niseko, Abuta District, Hokkaido 048-1512
Phone: 0136-44-3369

– Hokkaido Air Water Kutchan Sales Office
Address: 157 Kotohira, Kutchan, Abuta District, Hokkaido 044-0066
Phone: 0136-22-0010


Phone 0120-12-6565. Free call Tel 0136-22-0150
– direct but it’s only Japanese, so if you couldn’t understand, pease go to office in Kutchan.

18  South 1 West 2 Kutcha-cho
Kutchan-cho Minami 1-jo Nishi 2-chome 18
Tel 0136-22-0150
Hokkaido Electric Power Co. Inc, Kutchan Network Center
2 Chome – 18 Minami 1 Jonishi, Kutchan, Abuta District, Hokkaido 044-00310120-060-599


For buildings connected to the sewage, there will be one bill. If the building has a pump out system toilet the bill will be seperate.

Kutchan Town Hall
3 Chome -3 Kita 1 Johigashi, Kutchan, Abuta District, Hokkaido 044-00010136-22-1121

Niseko City Office
048-1595 Hokkaido, Abuta District, Niseko, Fujimi.

Heating Oil (Toyu)

At the beginning of the lease the tank is usually rented full. This should be checked when you first move in. It should also be full when you leave.
Most buildings are heated with heating oil. In Japanese its called toyu. 
All petrol stations/ gasoline stands sell it & prices are usually similar so best to approach the one closest to your house/apartment.
Refill when your gauge is low, before it runs out.
You can pay at the gasoline stand or when the toyu truck arrives to fill the tank.
Do not wait until the tank is empty as air will get in the line & it will cost extra to have the air pumped out by the toyu company.

Go to the store or call. Organise delivery with the store.
Payment may only be cash. You can pay upfront or once the tank has been filled on delivery.

Example for Kutchan area:
1 Chome-4 Minami 1 Jonishi, Kutchan, Abuta District, Hokkaido 044-0031
Click for Google maps – Idemitsu

Example for Niseko area:
〒048-1512 Hokkaido, Abuta District, Niseko, Chuodori, 78
Click for Google maps – Idemitsu

Apartment numbers circled in Red

Pump Out System – Toilet

In some areas of Kutchan Town & Niseko there is no sewage system (Approx 20% have no sewage system). 
In that case there will be either a septic tank system or pump out system. 
The septic tank system uses a normal flush toilet that exists in most countries. 
The toilet pump out system uses a separate tank for the toilet only. It is effectively a holding tank for all thats flushed & only uses a small amount of water for every flush compared to a standard toilet system.
Both of these systems can be found in all areas of Japan.

Video – Pump out system toilet

Example for Kutchan area:
㈲Hosoda industry
〒044-0004 Kita-cho, Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido

Example for Niseko area:
Tsukakoshi Sangyo Co., Ltd
0136 44-2630

Internet Options

Internet is not included with the property.
Here are some internet options for your house/apartment in Japan.

Home internet:
Setting up Internet at Home in Japan

Mobile data:
Sim cards & Rental phones

Pocket wifi router:
Renting a pocket wifi router in Japan

Exiting Property

When leaving your property, please contact your utility providers to cancel and pay outstanding bills. Please show proof of payment for all utilities. Please also fill the Toyu tank and send a photo so that its full.

Water Pipe Freezing / Draining

You must drain the property of water when you leave. If you do not do this, the water will freeze and split the pipes open, causing a lot of damage in future. Every water facility will need to be drained, this includes toilets, boilers and ground water pumps. There is some useful information on the links at the bottom of this section to help you do this. If you have any doubts, please contact a manager for assistance.

The following information has been issued by Hokkaido Town Council:
When the temperature drops below -4°C, water pipes may burst due to the water freezing and expanding. Before going to bed in winter or when you are away from home for a long time, please drain the water out of the water pipes. Even though you may keep your apartment warm, the pipes may be exposed to the air, such as in stairwells, where it may be cold enough to freeze water pipes.
Also, please drain the water out the water pipes when the weather forecast warns of pipe freezing.

How to prevent your water pipes from freezing
The best way to prevent your water pipes from freezing is to drain the water out by using the drain valve.
There are various types of drain valves and their location and how to adjust them varies according to the building.

The most common way to drain the water out of the water pipe:
1. Close the drain valve.
2. Turn on the tap and drain the water.
3. Turn the tap off after draining.
1. Operate the switch panel.
2. If required, turn on the tap and open the air intake valve to drain the last of the water.
3. Turn off the tap and air intake valve after draining.

If the water pipe freezes, it may burst. Take one of the following measures.

If the water pipe freezes slightly, warm up the room. Put a towel around the pipe or tap and pour warm water on it.
If you cannot thaw the pipe by yourself, please employ the services of a water main construction company to thaw the pipe. There will be a charge for this service.

Useful links about draining water pipes:

If in doubt, please contact a manager for advice.